Futurama: The Beast With A Billion Backs

The second film I saw in one day that features David Cross as a voice artist…

The Beast With A Billion Backs is the second of the four commissioned Futurama straight-to-DVD movies, and sadly, to my mind, this one fails to live up to the first. The plot seems far more pieced together and jumpy than Bender’s Big Score, and lacks a real constancy of tone or direction. Whereas Bender’s Big Score did what I believe Futurama does best (tell a love story through a ridiculously introverted plot), Beast With A Billion Backs deals with the concept of loneliness and isolation, and even attempts to comment on the nature of a soul, but ultimately it fails to deliver the same kick as its predecessor that is the true hallmark of what Futurama can be.

It’s still worth a watch, and perhaps a second viewing would help my opinion of it, but for me, The Beast With A Billion Backs disappoints. C+.

No comments: